Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Views on Hipster

I am not a hipster. According to Merriam Webster Dictionary, it defines hipster as "a person who fallows the latest styles, fashion ect." aka a hip person. The second definition of hipster states "a person who is unusually aware of and interested in new and unconventional patterns". A hipster is normal a person who doesn't follow normal trends or anything to mainstream. They listen to indie and alternative music. A hipster wouldn't describe themselves as one, they life differently and try to say away from anything to current. In todays world the word hipster has been thrown around a lot, everyone knows what a hipster is and it has become a trend that has taken over the past couple of years. One of the qualifications of a hipster is that they aren't the type of people to listen to top 40 with Ryan Seacrest, they tend to lean towards alterinvate music and jazz music. The term hipster first appeared during the jazz age (1940s) and it described someone who enjoyed jazz. While I listened to Charles Mingus's performances in Norway and Sweden (1964), I became engrossed with the music. It isn't the type of music I would normally listen to, but it is very appealing and almost relaxing. The music makes me feel connected to the past and even though there aren't any words I feel like the music is speaking to me. It no wonder why this type of music had started a movement. The poem Don't Let that Horseby Lawrence Ferlinghetti is confusing. I feel like I'm missing something important and I'm not seeing the hidden message, but I'm sure if one was more into poetry were to anialize it they would understand it better. Like I said I am not a hipster, that being said the poem People Getting Divorced also by Lawrence Ferlingthetti is powerful. I didn't have to read it a few times to get the point. Its something that people can relate to. When I think of this type of poetry I think of the Beats in San Francisco and what was creates there because of what was going on at the time and the people joining together and create a movement. It is a similar idea with the word hipster. Hipsters have come and gone and now they are back and showing people there is a different way to view and live life rather then what is the "norm". I enjoy learning how our society is constantly changing and creating new ways so view the world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment